Designer + Analyst Intern
Official Title: Designer + Analyst Intern
Duration: 12-36 months
Start Date: November 2022
Location: Pittsburgh Office
Salary Range: $22/hr to $26/hr commensurate with experience
evolve environment::architecture (evolveEA) is an award-winning studio that is committed to advancing resiliency, community, and vitality by design. We believe placemaking needs to be a shared act and that creative solutions integrate the resource flows and cultural systems of a community. We are problem seekers and we collaborate with clients, communities, and partners to find innovative approaches and solutions.
As design thinkers and design do-ers, we are committed to being active in practice, teaching, and advocacy. We pride ourselves on a supportive and inviting office culture where all of our team members contribute in meaningful ways and our firm is a BCorp, is Just Certified, and is carbon-neutral. We are committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in our work and in how we work and we are on a journey to understand how our commitment can improve our practice and the lives of those around us.
Established in 2004, evolveEA is an award-winning carbon-neutral, triple bottom line focused WBE firm located in the East End of Pittsburgh, PA. evolveEA is a mission-driven firm and was named one of the best places to work in Pittsburgh by the Pittsburgh Business Times in 2019. We pride ourselves on a supportive and inviting office culture where all of our team members contribute in meaningful ways. For more information about our firm, refer to www.evolveEA.com.
Design and Planning Studio
Our nationally recognized design and planning studio has made huge contributions in how the profession approaches the design and planning of resilient communities at multiple scales. We create compelling and thought provoking landscapes, buildings, experiences, and objects to reexamine our relationship to our environment. We enable communities to create more livable places, systems and economies by addressing the ecological, social and economic issues. Our work includes commercial & residential architecture, urban design & placemaking guidelines, ecodistrict planning/living city/LEED ND management, human factors concept & design, and community/user engagement.
For more information on our work, please visit www.evolveea.com/work/placemaking/.
evolve environment::architecture is seeking a designer who can join our multidisciplinary team to work on urban design, community planning, and architectural design projects. We are looking for a motivated problem solver with strong visualization skills who will work on projects at the macro, meso, and micro scales. This 12-36 month position is an opportunity to participate in planning and design projects that reshape the places where we live, work, and play to be socially equitable, resilient, and environmentally sustainable.
Tasks may include
As an intern you will support the project team by completing discrete tasks under the guidance of a Senior Designer or Project Manager. There may be 1 or 2 major projects that you will have ongoing involvement with during your time with us that will allow you to have exposure and build deep professional knowledge. You may also be called into across studios on an as needed basis that will expose you to the breadth of work happening in the office. Designers take direction from Project Manager or may manage a small project on your own if the scope warrants. For tasks in which the intern will "lead" the applicant must feel comfortable with the required program and the workflow to the extent that they can self-perform the tasks with minimal assistance or supervision, listed below.
Skills are expected to be applicable to the following types of tasks:
- Leads 3D model creation and renderings for urban design and architectural visualization
- Leads urban analysis for urban design and planning projects
- Supports computational analyses for urban design
- Supports preparation and management for architectural documentation
- Support creation of presentation materials for public or client meetings
- Support final document layout for reports and project materials
- Support project meetings and have direct interaction with project team members, including owners, architects, engineers and contractors
- Support community engagement preparation and facilitation related to planning and design projects
- Support project goals and participate in design workshops
- You may be called upon for additional tasks to support project delivery, as deemed necessary by Principals and Associates
- Experience with drafting in AutoCAD and Revit
- Experience with 3D modeling in Sketchup and/or Rhino
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Experience with ArcGIS
- Good communication skills; accurate, clear, organized, self-starter; desire to promote and encourage sustainability; desire and ability to collaborate; ability to work flexibly; ability to take in and process large amounts of information; good people skills; ability to multitask.
- Education: At minimum an accredited degree in Architecture and/or Urban Design
Desired (but not required) Qualifications
- Experience with Grasshopper
- Experience with Python
- Experience with VRay
- Experience working on Architectural drawing sets for affordable housing, and commercial projects
- Experience with planning and design projects, such as community vision or comprehensive plans, multi-family housing, public transportation, and green infrastructure.
- Experience with sustainability frameworks such as LEED, WELL, Living Building Challenge, Passive House, etc.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity please fill out our intern application form linked here.
- Application Submittal and review
- Applicants of interest will be notified by email of an opportunity to proceed to an interview, or potentially be asked to clarify or confirm their current status or qualifications before being invited to interview
- First Interview with evolveEA Associates (virtual)
- Second Interview with evolveEA Principals (in-person)
- Final response
The position will be filled once a suitable candidate is selected. An interview will be required. evolveEA reserves the right to remove or modify this position in order to reflect our strategic needs and personnel strengths.
Commitment to Equitable Hiring
evolveEA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics.
Salary commensurate with experience. We are seeking candidates from diverse backgrounds
Your application has been successfully submitted.
advancing systems and solutions by design