Freelance Architect / Architectural Designer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Cottage is solving housing affordability via an end-to-end platform for designing, permitting, and building Accessory Dwelling Units ("ADUs").
Recent regulatory changes have empowered homeowners to build new housing supply out of empty backyards, garages and basements. ADUs can be a great investment for homeowners, naturally affordable housing for renters, and steady work for contractors. The COVID pandemic has only created additional urgency for many homeowners who need extra space for loved ones.
That’s not to say it’s easy to build an ADU today. Cottage was born out of the pain points we felt firsthand navigating the process -- including understanding municipal zoning code, building a best-in-class network of designers and contractors, and delivering custom residential design on time and on budget.
Cottage is backed by top tier seed funds and proptech/fintech angel investors. The founding team are formerly early Uber operations, UberEats growth, WeWork design and Opendoor expansion. Join us in tackling one of the biggest problems facing cities today.
About the Freelance Role
Our team is seeking experienced individuals to join the Cottage Design Studio.
The Cottage Design Studio is a network of freelance Architects & Architectural Designers at the heart of Cottage’s homeowner services. As a freelance designer with Cottage, you’ll gain valuable client-facing experience, guide Cottage homeowners through the design process and effectively represent the Cottage brand.
This freelance role is a great opportunity for a steady pipeline of design work largely at your own schedule, with access to supercharged architectural business-as-usual via Cottage’s ADU-specific resources and tech systems. We specialize in combining technology with ADU expertise to offer custom residential design at a fraction of the cost and timeline of traditional architecture. As such, the ideal candidate will be enthusiastic to adopt Cottage’s new approach to the architectural design process and deliverables.
As a Freelance Architect/Architectural Designer with Cottage, you’ll be the primary architectural expert working on ADU’s at several phases from Schematic Design, Design Development, to Permit Submission. While the role is fully remote, freelancers should expect meetings and communications to occur on Pacific Time as Cottage HQ and homeowners are located in California.
What You’ll Need
Architecture & Technical
- 3+ years professional experience in architecture - managing your own clients or working on very small teams with direct client engagement is strongly preferred
- Proficient in Revit; able to learn new software and platforms quickly (we’ll provide access to the software licenses you’ll need)
- Residential design and/or growth-stage tech environment experience are big pluses
- Ability for 1099 / contract work within the United States; intent for long-term contract engagement
- Ability to comfortably manage 15-20 hrs/week is preferred
Quality, Ownership & Communication
- Proven record of project ownership, proactive organization, communication, and self-management
- Proven record of delivering high quality work at a high bandwidth
- Superb graphic, written, and oral communication skills with clients and the internal team
- A passion for real estate, ADUs, and new solutions to impacting housing markets
Collaboration & Experimentation
- Collaborative work style; you work well with a cross-functional team and are able to operate with many ideas, variables, and inputs
- An excitement to experiment, try new things, and be creative
- Determination, resiliency, optimism - working at an early stage startup is fun and rewarding but certainly comes with its challenges!
- Operates with an owner’s mindset, brings structure and excellence to ambiguous, high-intensity situations, is driven, ambitious, and intellectually curious
- Comfort with a fast-paced, rapidly changing and ambiguous (but fun!) work environment
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We take the stress out of planning, designing and building custom ADUs.