This job is no longer accepting applications.
Position Specifications Assistant
Similar Intern Architect, or professional or non-professional architecture graduate, with 3+ years architecture experience and on a path to licensure.
About us M.Thrailkill.Architect is a dynamic and growing firm providing specification writing, product and materials research, and document review to architecture firms who desire a high level of collaborative, client interaction. Our design-centric mission is to provide architectural specifications and other project services. This involves regular collaborative design team engagement, which enlivens our consulting experience, strengthens and enriches our client relationships, and adds variety to our work experience.
Job Summary We are looking for a highly collaborative, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic Specifications Assistant. The right applicant is passionate about contributing to our clients’ design and documentation process while rapidly building technical knowledge and management skills at an engaging and diverse company involved with a broad variety of projects and clients. Our Specifications Assistants are intern architects and recent architecture graduates who develop an open and engaging rapport with our team, regularly meet with our clients (virtually and in-person), maintain a high level of quality control and consistency in our work, and act as willing collaborators, avid learners, and strong technical resources to the rest of our office.
Why here? We’re involved in a much wider range of project types than most architecture firms, including multi-family housing and hospitality; primary, secondary and higher education; health care, laboratory and tech infrastructure; airport and train transportation; and civic and government projects. Very few firms are so broadly involved and working on so many projects.
Our office is directly engaged in exploring, evaluating and implementing the highest levels of sustainability, working closely with others in our region, the most advanced in the country. The specifications we develop for our clients’ projects lead the nation for healthy products, energy savings, environmental sensitivity, life-cycle assessment, and carbon capture.
As a Specifications Assistant, you will meet directly with the project teams at our nationally known clients on a regular, often weekly, basis. Our clients’ award-winning projects are located throughout the Pacific Northwest, as well as California, New York, Northern Virginia, South Florida and various overseas regions.
We invest in our employees’ lives and capabilities, with a very comprehensive benefits package and full support of training, testing, and accreditation for architecture licensure as well as many design and construction industry memberships and certifications, including AIA, NCARB, LEED and CSI.
COVID-19 considerations: All Staff are required to meet current vaccination standards (or be exempt). Remote working options available. Masking, distancing, and all best practices are in place to limit exposure.
- Preparing architectural specifications under the direction of our Specifications Writers in collaboration with our architect-clients’ design teams; you will be working on five to ten projects simultaneously.
- Assisting with the review of clients’ project drawings and other documents to coordinate product and material requirements, annotations and acronyms, including the incorporation of client-specific standards, you’ll be directly involved in the specification production and editing process and the publishing of Project Manuals.
- Assisting with maintenance and improvement of our baseline specifications with the rest of our staff, including investigating best-practices, maximizing sustainability criteria, and improving coordination, you’ll participate in the assessment, improvement and updating process first-hand alongside other staff.
Compensation and Benefits
- Part or Full-time position; $26.50 to $32.50 per hour, based on experience and tenure; semi-annual performance bonuses; annual review and compensation adjustment ahead of industry-standard wages.
A very competitive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Paid time off, vacation and holidays
- Paid volunteer and community time
- Paid conference and education time
- Parental and pregnancy leave
- Paid exams, licensure, and certifications
- Shared reimbursement for mass transit
- Matching retirement plan
Qualifications Required = 3; Preferred = 2; Encouraged = 1
- A minimum of two years of work experience in an architectural office is required; four years of such experience is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Construction Document production is required; working knowledge of specifications and product/ finish selection process is preferred; previous experience with Construction Administration responsibilities is encouraged.
- Previous design team experience with medium- and large-scale, mixed-use, higher education, institutional and/ or government project types is preferred.
Education and Professional
- A minimum of Bachelor of Arts or Science degree in Architecture (BA or BS in Architecture) is required; a Bachelor or Master of Architecture (BArch or MArch) is preferred.
- Active progress toward Architect registration is encouraged; Architect licensure is preferred.
- Construction Documents Technologist (CDT) or higher CSI certification is encouraged.
- Active involvement with local CSI or AIA chapter is encouraged.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications, email and file management tools is required.
- Proficiency with mark-up and comment-tracking applications is preferred, including Adobe Acrobat Pro and Bluebeam Revu.
- Proficiency with online remote conferencing and team communication tools is required, including Microsoft Teams, GoToMeeting, Zoom, Skype for Business, etc.
- Proficiency with collaboration and file sharing tools is encouraged, including Smartsheet, Dropbox, Google Docs, Trello, Slack, Newforma, WeTransfer, etc.
- Proficiency with online specification development tools is encouraged, including Deltek MasterSpecs, e-SPECS Designer, BSD SpecLink, etc.
If this role sounds like a great fit for you, and you possess the qualities, skills and capabilities we’re seeking, please connect with us through the job search app of your choice, or at info(at)mthrailkillarchitect.com.
Include "Specifications Assistant position" in the subject line and attach PDF files of the following:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate for this position.
- Resume or CV
For a full listing of opportunities available, please visit our website: http://www.mthrailkillarchitect.com/
M.Thrailkill.Architect will recruit, hire, promote and transfer qualified persons into all job classifications without regard to race, color, national origin or citizenship status, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
NOTICE: M.Thrailkill.Architect does not accept unsolicited candidate information from employment recruiters. Without a signed recruitment agreement, M.Thrailkill.Architect will not consider or agree to payment of a referral compensation or recruitment fee. In the event an employment recruiter submits candidate information without prior agreement, M.Thrailkill.Architect reserves the right to pursue and hire such candidate(s) without financial obligation to the employment recruiter. Unsolicited candidate information shall be considered property of M.Thrailkill.Architect.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Specifications, Estimating, Research, Documentation