Project Designer / Architect
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Snøhetta values human interaction. All of our work strives to enhance our sense of place, identity and relationship to others and the physical spaces we inhabit, whether natural or human-made. Museums, reindeer observatories and dollhouses get the same care and attention to purpose.
Snøhetta is an international, interdisciplinary architecture and landscape architecture firm with offices in Oslo, New York, San Francisco and Innsbruck. The US offices are working on architectural and landscape projects associated with libraries, performance spaces, master plans, academia, waterfronts, park planning, urban redevelopments, and public plazas throughout the Americas.
Our New York and San Francisco studios are seeking a Project Designer/Architect (PA) who is committed to the creation and development of exemplary architecture from concept through execution.
About the job:
The PA works on project teams to advance the successful completion of projects, tasks, and initiatives. This is an intermediate position at Snøhetta in which a person has an increased level of responsibility for project design, delivery, and management. They lead and mentor Designers or Interns who are a part of their project team(s). Over time, PAs lead more independently and develop advanced design and project coordination skills.
The PA is exposed to various work methods which are focused on the following core actions:
- Thinking: content generation of design through various mediums
- Doing: production of drawings, presentations, and general design production tasks
- Interacting: participation and leadership in meetings, project discussions and studio life
Depending upon a candidate’s experience, background and licensure status, they will be recognized as a Project Designer/Architect or Senior Project Designer/Architect.
How you will do the job:
The PA is instrumental in moving a project forward, leading an internal team, coordinating with consultants, and working through all items agreed upon in the contract. Below are just some of the ways you’ll do your work.
- Organize the process of design, coordination and documentation for the design team and its interface with the consultant team.
- Create and organize the development of the design for the design team within the established direction of the project that was formulated via the Partner in charge and the Project Leader.
- Lead the coordination efforts with project consultants.
- Contribute to the project delivery process and advance the development by assisting the team and Project Leader in several ways.
- Assist with scheduling, budgeting, and overseeing work assignments of project team
- Compose and assist with project correspondence. In charge of day-to-day correspondence with consultants and Owner’s day-to-day manager(s).
- You are an emerging leader at Snøhetta and demonstrate trustworthiness, forthrightness, self-awareness, and humility
- Continuously refine and improve your communication style and recognize how to tailor it according to your audience. Build up your emotional intelligence to best collaborate and connect with others.
- Support the professional development of others through on-the-job teaching and mentorship
- Maintain professional curiosity and proactively learn about your role and industry.
- Prioritize and delegate work according to project needs or Snøhetta initiatives
- Hold yourself and your team accountable to ensure project deadlines and deliverables are met
All positions at Snøhetta, regardless of level or discipline, hold the expectation that a person be a good citizen of the firm who contributes to a positive, inclusive organizational culture.
We build trust and prioritize team success over an individual agenda. We are accountable to our work and actions, respectful of others and engage in healthy debate. We are committed to doing good work and pay attention to results. We recognize that we work in an evolving industry and adapt to change and participate in a meaningful way. We accept mentorship from others, informally or formally, and use it as an opportunity for growth.
About your experience:
- Professional degree in architecture
- An intermediate level with a range of 5-10 years of professional architecture experience
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, Rhino, Adobe CS, MS Office Suite, Slack, Zoom
- Exceptional design sensibility, talent and rigor
- Previous experience through all phases of design
- Experience carrying projects through technical design preferred
- Ability to demonstrate project and team management skills
- Experience working with a range of consultants and large project teams, including associate landscape, civil, electrical, traffic and structural engineers.
- Experience with academic and/or performance space is especially valued
- Please submit your application to our resume database
- We review applications on a continuous basis. Due to the large amount of applications we receive, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- No phone calls or emails please
Your application has been successfully submitted.