Director of Master Planning
International design firm Olson Kundig seeks a Director of Master Planning to help develop our expanding master planning portfolio and lead the landscape department. In all our work, but especially with master planning and landscape design, we believe that design can frame the environment, helping people to focus on nature and the unique context and cultures that surround them.
We seek a proactive and dedicated master planner with a degree in architecture and/or urban design with a graduate degree in urban design, planning, or development. We prefer a minimum of 15 years of post-bachelor degree-professional master planning experience in residential, commercial, campus, or site planning.
You will have the opportunity to shape large-scale, world-class master planning projects in diverse urban and rural contexts around the globe. A broader outcome of this role is to lead and build the landscape department, develop the master planning and landscape capacity, and lead work-winning business development efforts across different markets and locations, both for existing internal and external clients and new ones.
This full-time position offers a generous benefits package including healthcare coverage, a retirement plan, and profit-sharing.
Personal Attributes and Skills
- Excellent collaboration, communication, organization, and mentorship skills with a record of team achievement
- Love of design, making, and conceptual thinking
- Generous, personally ambitious, personable, and hardworking
- High-level skills in site planning, master planning, landscape design, layout, and construction detailing.
- Understanding of and ability to apply current, sustainable site concepts.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally
- Be the leading resource for master planning and landscape leadership and knowledge within the office.
- Establish and track the department’s short and long-term financial, strategic and tactical goals.
- Identify potential candidates and grow the master planning and landscape team in support of identified goals.
- Manage the department team in a manner ensuring consistently high quality and timely work.
- Organize and manage the department’s day-to-day operations.
- Maintain an awareness of evolving industry standards and bring an entrepreneurial approach to identifying opportunities to enhance department processes including but not limited to design quality, project delivery, client communication.
- Generously share expertise and knowledge as we continually strive to improve the quality of our work, how it is delivered, and the processes utilized to attain it.
- Work closely with leadership and project managers across the firm to promote an inter-disciplinary design approach and philosophy and facilitate its advancement within the office.
- Grow the Olson Kundig reputation for master planning and landscape design leadership
- Participate in leading master planning and landscape dialog.
- Lead the landscape department business development efforts in all market sectors.
- Assist the marketing department in the development of project proposals and RFQ/RFP responses.
- Identify potential teaming opportunities with other industry professionals.
- Complementing overall Olson Kundig priorities, establish and oversee the department’s revenue goals and marketing objectives.
- Oversee all active master planning and landscape projects within the firm.
- Lead the initial site analysis, development of high-level master planning conceptual options, location and layout of land use, knowledge of current trends and technologies in planning, and coordinating with the environmental, infrastructure, and transportation planners.
- Direct the writing and illustrating of urban design, landscape design, and architectural concepts, explanation, and analysis of a project's requirements to develop urban design and landscape guidelines, benchmarking studies for comparable developments, development of presentations and reports to convey concepts and comparable developments.
- Manage and guide the team to successfully navigate complex client and stakeholder relationships associated with this type of work as well as the economic issues unique to this sector.
- Manage team production of deliverables to prepare high-quality, brand-appropriate documents.
- Actively participate in design discourse and critiques with the team.
- Establish and retain a leading-edge knowledge of landscape design approaches and sustainable site concepts.
At Olson Kundig and a great work environment, you get some wonderful benefits such as contributions towards HSA from the company, bonus and profit-sharing plans for various qualified roles, paid time off, and a monthly travel subsidy through ORCA use public transportation, and more.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship. All applicants must already possess long-term work authorization.
Your application has been successfully submitted.