Associate Fabricator, Fab Lab
This job is no longer accepting applications.
SHoP Architects was founded twenty years ago to harness the power of diverse expertise in the design of buildings and environments that improve the quality of public life. Our inclusive, open-minded process allows us to effectively address a broad range of issues in our work: from novel programmatic concepts, to next-generation fabrication and delivery techniques, to beautifully crafted spaces that precisely suit their functions. Years ago we set out to prove that intelligent, evocative architecture can be made within real-world constraints. Today, our interdisciplinary staff of 180 is implementing that idea at critical sites around the world.
Candidates must have demonstrated proficiency in conceptual design, outstanding craftsmanship as well as an attention to detail that will not only satisfy the demands of the project but go above and beyond to add a creative edge to presentation and concept models, mock ups and prototypes. We are seeking a talented individual with the ability to work, both independently in a self-directed manner, as well as collaboratively within a project team. Candidate must have experience working in fabrication environment and possess necessary skills for organizing and running facilities in a safe and effective working manner.
- The position will be responsible for the day to day operations of the shop, including preparation, equipment maintenance and shop upkeep and material procurement.
- Candidate can demonstrate an enthusiasm for experimentation and creative problem solving.
- Ability to manage complex projects or tasks and demonstrate proactive communication, effective scheduling and necessary research.
- Ability to work under pressure, while managing strict deadlines.
- Mentor and oversee the work of junior team members.
- Convey and teach complex concepts and processes. Ability to produce effective presentations.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively in both independently and in a team environment.
- The ability to think and design three-dimensionally, and to understand and utilize architectural drawings and sketches.
- Can demonstrate an attention detail, and an appreciation for production quality
- The position requires manual dexterity and attention to detail in the fabrication and assembly of miniature components.
- Has experience operating digital fabrication machinery as well as traditional hand tools and a genuine willingness for expanding their skillset.
- Communicate and coordinate with office staff, project teams, partners, in addition to reporting to the senior Fab Lab members.
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs.
- Proficiency in Rhino required.
- Proficiency in RhinoCAM software.
- Experience with various 3D printing processes.
- Laser cutting and other traditional fabrication tools required.
- Adobe Suite experience is preferable.
- Willingness to work in a physical capacity in a fabrication environment.
- Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “YOUR NAME – Associate, Fab Lab” as the subject line.
Your application has been successfully submitted.