Sustainable Design Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
We are a design firm of more than 1,400 architects, interior designers, urban designers, scientists, artists, anthropologists and more. We work together across industries and across the globe to create places that delight, heal and stimulate peak performance.
We nurture a culture of extraordinary people with curious and creative minds who are passionate about delivering elegant solutions. We also have a dedicated research team devoted to discovering processes and ideas that improve outcomes for everyone.
In everything we do, we're mindful of the fragility of all life and of the planet.
Our Denver office is seeking an experienced Sustainable Design Engineer to join our team.
Exercises independent judgment in evaluation, selection and use of standard techniques for engineering analysis and models and solves problems when encountered. Possesses and applies a broad knowledge of sustainable high-performance building design principles, practices and procedures to complete assignments with originality and ingenuity. Anticipates job expectations and contributes to sustainable project and design solutions.
- Prepares whole-building dynamic thermal and energy building simulation models for various building types and scales, including advanced mechanical systems evaluations, architectural response to enhancing daylighting, lighting control systems and detailed thermal and moisture response of building façade components
- Performs detailed engineering analysis for the purpose of minimizing energy consumption and related greenhouse gas emissions related to a building’s architectural design, construction and operation
- Performs comfort studies, life cycle costs analysis, energy simulation, daylight simulations, solar shading analysis and renewable energy evaluation to provide analysis-based recommendations that inform design and operational decisions made by architects, engineers, contactors and operators
- Supports DesignGreen team and Enterprise leadership to expand and further integrate design performance, building energy modeling and building operation modeling for all projects across the firm, including informing design decisions by predicting a building’s performance with respect to energy efficiency, passive and active design strategies, building massing, daylight availability, glare control, shading analysis, thermal comfort, natural ventilation, mechanical systems alternatives, loads analysis, renewable energy systems integration and similar design factors/elements throughout the project’s life cycle
- Confidently predicts a building’s anticipated energy use and corresponding energy savings, as compared to a standard baseline by applying whole-building energy simulation and verify performance through industry standard calibration procedures for post-occupancy evaluations
- Provides Life Cycle Cost Analysis (LCCA) and Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) for design alternatives with a keen understanding of appropriate economic analysis parameters relevant to the project
- Collaborates with design teams to promote integrative sustainable strategies and leverage complex data sets to support design decisions and research
- Assists with specialized project and enterprise research activities including but not limited to energy, environmental, carbon and general sustainability issues
- Reviews professional publications/journals and identifies areas of opportunity (innovation) to increase energy efficiency by utilizing new or existing technologies, provide creative market transformation ideas, and/or innovative implementation strategies
- Advances enterprise level Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) efforts such as the AIA 2030 Commitment and the United Nations Global Compact
- Produces technical reports and presentation materials
- Participates in team meetings to discuss project issues, technical issues and coordination with other disciplines
- Supports firm’s global presence and actively engages perspectives from HKS international offices
- Creates content and facilitates enterprise wide internal training, education and knowledge sharing regarding building sciences fundamentals and energy analysis software applications
- Fosters and maintains a collaborative professional working relationship with DesignGreen and project teams
- Takes an active role with civic, community and industry professional organizations with commitment and professional integrity
- Promotes the firm’s principles of ‘design excellence’ through the integration of responsible and sustainable design practice with the art of design
- Travel may be required
- Accredited professional degree in Architecture, Engineering, Sustainable Design or related field
- Professional engineering licensure preferred
- Typically 3+ years of experience
- Modeling credentials such as ASHRAE Building Energy Modeling Professional (BEMP), Building Energy Simulation Analyst (BESA), or equivalent preferred
- Sustainable design accreditation preferred
- Familiarity with design and energy modeling applications such as Rhino, Grasshopper, Radiance, DIVA, REVIT, AutoCAD, Sketchup, IES VE, Sefaira, Insight360, Energy Plus, EnergyPro preferred
- Experience with Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup and InDesign graphic software preferred
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite preferred
- Experience in LEED submission and regulatory compliance energy modeling
- Familiarity with computational design and parametric modeling preferred
- Familiarity with energy modeling preferred
- Knowledge of sustainability and integrated design guidelines
- Strong knowledge in interpreting and applying high-performance building standards such as ANSI, ASHRAE, IESNA and ASTM as well as building energy codes such as IECC and T24
- Strong knowledge of architectural building systems
- Working knowledge of building physics, energy transfer, mechanical design, system control strategies and economics is required
- Knowledge of QA/QC and specification process
- Knowledge of building codes and ability to research and apply/incorporate into technical documents
- Ability to maintain existing client relationships and build new client relationships
- Ability to communicate and present ideas in a clear, concise and professional manner both verbally and in writing
- Ability to problem solve and apply innovative solutions
- Ability to work and collaborate in a team environment
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines at expected quality
Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act:
Base Salary Range: $55k-84k annually – Colorado locations only
The estimate displayed represents the general base salary range of candidates hired in Colorado only. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
HKS offers a comprehensive total compensation & benefits package with health, dental, and vision care coverage, 401(k) plans, life & AD&D insurance, short/long term disability plans, paid days off (sick leave, parental leave, vacation), and much more for benefits-eligible employees. To learn more about our benefits visit this page.
If you currently work for HKS, please submit your application via the Internal Careers Portal.
HKS is an EEO/AA Employer: M/F/Disabled/Veteran
Your application has been successfully submitted.