Urban Design / Planning Project Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
evolve environment::architecture (evolveEA) is an award-winning studio that is committed to advancing resiliency, community, and vitality by design. We believe placemaking needs to be a shared act and that creative solutions integrate the resource flows and cultural systems of a community. We are problem seekers and we collaborate with clients, communities, and collaborators to find innovative approaches and solutions.
As design thinkers and design do-ers, we are committed to being active in practice, teaching, and advocacy. We pride ourselves on a supportive and inviting office culture where all of our team members contribute in meaningful ways and our firm is a BCorp, is Just Certified, and is carbon-neutral. We are committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in our work and in how we work and we are on a journey to understand how our commitment can improve our practice and the lives of those around us.
We are seeking a designer / planner to join our multidisciplinary team to manage or contribute to urban design and planning projects. We are looking for a motivated problem solver with strong visualization skills who understands the relationship between building, district, and infrastructure systems. This position is an opportunity to participate in architecture and urban design projects that shape inspiring places that are socially equitable, resilient, and environmentally sustainable.
We are seeking a minimum 5-8 years of professional experience with the implementation of projects. Professional certifications are not required but are favorably considered. Urban design and planning projects range in scale from small to large and include a focus on ecodistricts, neighborhood planning, comprehensive plans, arts and cultural districts, riverfront planning and design, and masterplans. This position will be expected to manage multiple projects and to contribute to a collaborative design process. The designer/planner should be knowledgeable about sustainability and resilience issues, understand ecological and economic systems, and be comfortable navigating processes that may present a degree of uncertainty.
We do a diversity of work and candidates may also have deep expertise in a category or have integrated expertise across areas. Please identify any subject matter expertise (SME) in any of these areas:
· Urban and architectural design strategies for integrative urban places.
· Design that integrates mobility infrastructure into urban environments, including mobility infrastructure, transit-oriented development, and station area planning,
· Design that integrates ecological infrastructure into urban environments such as rainwater systems, greenways, and parks and is comfortable working at the city-wide, neighborhood, and site scale
· Integration of urban analytics, GIS, and computational analysis for a data-driven design and planning process
· Articulation of policies, programs, economic models, or other processes that are supportive of placemaking
· Expertise in constructive client and community collaboration, including engagement methods and deployment of creative design processes
As an Urban Design / Planning Project Manager you will:
· Collaborate with future thinkers to define innovative environments that celebrate place, environment, and equity
· Design at multiple scales and planning contexts including urban districts and neighborhoods, comprehensive plans, ecodistricts, masterplans, and campuses
· Work collaboratively with and lead multi-disciplinary teams consisting of planners, architects, landscape architects and urban designers
· Assist the team in identifying the design opportunities related to a community’s or organization’s places, processes, and culture
· Develop project content and creative direction, including graphic content (e.g., plans, diagrams, renderings, maps), written and graphic narrative building, and report layout and text.
· Communicates with client and subconsultants, serving as the primary point of contact
· Organizes and communicates project workflows, including deadlines, phase completion, and staffing needs/changes with the project team(s) and the Principal-in-Charge (PIC), responsible for multiple projects simultaneously
· Mentors staff on project teams, and cultivates a positive project experience and a collaborative team atmosphere
· Leads meetings with clients/consultants; facilitates and/or presents at public/client meetings.
· Create in multiple media, including 2d and 3d analytical and conceptual drawings, digital models, graphics, visual identity, online web tools, and video media
· Understands, and adheres to, the project's contract requirements and works with the PIC to manage changes in scope, schedule, and fee throughout the project
· Develops scopes, schedules, and budgets for project proposals, and assists with the preparation of proposal content. Contributes to overall studio marketing and business development strategies.
· Participates in the interview process for hiring new staff and the employee review process for team members.
· Works with the PIC and Office Manager to regarding project financials, project set-up, and invoicing
· Maintain professional curiosity and proactively learn about your role and industry. Participate and/or lead firm and community volunteer efforts as an ambassador to the profession and firm
· Pursue professional development and learning opportunities; share what you have learned with the firm and clients
· Take part in, nurture, and lead evolveEA’s office culture
Candidates are expected to have:
· Professional degree in architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, or planning
· AICP or certifications are encouraged
· An intermediate level with a range of 5-8 years of professional experience
· Previous experience leading or strongly contributing to multidisciplinary teams and a willingness to contribute ideas with confidence and skill
· Exceptional design sensibility and rigorous pursuit of design excellence and a passion for sustainable and resilient design
· Candidates must live in or near the City of Pittsburgh or be willing to relocate to Pittsburgh. This is not a remote work position, although occasional work-from-home can be discussed.
An ideal candidate has proven ability and qualities such as:
· Ability to work in a fast-paced creative environment with tight deadlines
· Accurate, clear, organized, self-starter
· Ability to work flexibly, ability to take in and process large amounts of information
· Good at multitasking and in dealing with uncertainty or rapidly changing environments
· Excellent written / verbal communication skills and capable presentation skills
· Subject matter expertise in one of the areas identified
· Strong understanding of place making, urban form and building typologies
Software skills should include:
· Required proficiency with Adobe Suite, arcGIS, and MS Office Suite
· Desired proficiency with AutoCAD, Rhino, Grasshopper, Revit, Cove Tool preferred but not required
What to do Next:
If you are interested in this opportunity please fill out our Employment Application -
You will be asked to upload your resume, a portfolio of your best work, and a cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for evolveEA.
The position will be filled once a suitable candidate is selected. An interview will be required. evolveEA reserves the right to remove or modify this position in order to reflect our strategic needs and personnel strengths.
Salary commensurate with experience.
evolveEA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
advancing systems and solutions by design