This job is no longer accepting applications.
evolve environment::architecture (evolveEA) is an award-winning studio that is committed to advancing resiliency, community, and vitality by design. We believe placemaking needs to be a shared act and that creative solutions integrate the resource flows and cultural systems of a community. We are problem seekers and we collaborate with clients, communities, and collaborators to find innovative approaches and solutions.
As design thinkers and design do-ers, we are committed to being active in practice, teaching, and advocacy. We pride ourselves on a supportive and inviting office culture where all of our team members contribute in meaningful ways and our firm is a BCorp, is Just Certified, and is carbon-neutral. We are committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in our work and in how we work and we are on a journey to understand how our commitment can improve our practice and the lives of those around us.
We are seeking an architectural designer to join our multidisciplinary team to manage or contribute to architectural design projects, and to collaborate on urban design and community planning projects. We are looking for a motivated problem solver with strong visualization skills who understands the relationship between building, district, and infrastructure systems. This position is an opportunity to participate in architecture and urban design projects that shape inspiring places that are socially equitable, resilient, and environmentally sustainable.
We are seeking a minimum 5-8 years of professional experience with the implementation of commercial architectural projects and experience or motivation to learn on urban design projects. Professional registration is not required but is favorably considered. Architectural projects range in scale from small to medium size and include public, nonprofit, and private clients. This position will be expected to manage projects and workflow and to contribute to a collaborative design process. The designer/architect should be able to design comfortably at the building scale, as well as at the neighborhood or site development scale. The designer/architect should be knowledgeable about sustainability and resilience issues, understand building systems, and be comfortable navigating design and construction processes that may present a degree of uncertainty.
- Collaborate with future thinkers to define innovative environments that celebrate place, environment, and equity, revitalized
- Design at multiple scales and in different contexts including small to midsize commercial, housing, residential (limited), transit infrastructure, and landscape/green infrastructure
- Work collaboratively with and lead multi-disciplinary teams consisting of architects, landscape architects, engineers, artists, and other specialists
- Creation of communication materials including reports, posters and other print material, and slides or other electronic presentation media
- Prepares conceptual design and construction documents for projects
- Organizes and communicates project workflows, including deadlines, phase completion, and staffing needs/changes with the project team(s) and the Principal-in-Charge (PIC), responsible for multiple projects simultaneously
- Mentors staff on project teams, and cultivates a positive project experience and a collaborative team atmosphere
- Leads meetings with clients/consultants; facilitates and/or presents at public/client meetings.
- Create in multiple media, including 2d and 3d analytical and conceptual drawings, digital models, graphics, visual identity, online web tools, and video media
- Understands, and adheres to, the project's contract requirements and works with the PIC to manage changes in scope, schedule, and fee throughout the project
- Communicates with client and subconsultants, serving as the primary point of contact
- Communicates with the community and stakeholders including planning, design, and facilitation of large and small scale meetings
- Writing in support of project production, to communicate thought leadership, and for marketing purposes
- Develops scopes, schedules, and budgets for project proposals, and assists with the preparation of proposal content. Contributes to overall studio marketing and business development strategies.
- Participates in the interview process for hiring new staff and the employee review process for team members.
- Works with the PIC and Office Manager to regarding project financials, project set-up, and invoicing
- Maintain professional curiosity and proactively learn about your role and industry. Participate and/or lead firm and community volunteer efforts as an ambassador to the profession and firm
- Pursue professional development and learning opportunities; share what you have learned with the firm and clients
- Take part in, nurture, and lead evolveEA’s office culture
Candidates are expected to have:
· 5+ years of experience working on architectural projects. Urban design experience is desired but not required
· Excellent design skills evidence in architecture, urban planning, and graphic design
· A first professional degree (B.Arch or M.Arch) or higher in architecture
· Strong understanding of sustainable design strategies and principles
· Licensure is recommended but not required
An ideal candidate has proven ability and qualities such as:
· Ability to work in a fast-paced creative environment with tight deadlines
· Accurate, clear, organized, self-starter
· Ability to work flexibly, ability to take in and process large amounts of information
· Good at multitasking and in dealing with uncertainty or rapidly changing environments
· Excellent written / verbal communication skills and capable presentation skills
· Strong listening skills and ability to empathize and unpack complex problems
· Subject matter expertise in one of the areas identified
· Strong understanding of place making, urban form and building typologies
Software skills should include:
· Required proficiency includes: with AutoCAD and Revit (BIM), 3d modeling in Rhino and Sketchup, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and Excel, as well as the Google equivalent, teaming software
· Desire proficiency includes: ArcGIS, Grasshopper, Python, VRay, CoveTool; Sustainability frameworks such as LEED, WELL, Living Building Challenge, Passive House
What to do Next:
If you are interested in this opportunity please fill out our Employment Application -
You will be asked to upload your resume, a portfolio of your best work, and a cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for evolveEA.
The position will be filled once a suitable candidate is selected. An interview will be required. evolveEA reserves the right to remove or modify this position in order to reflect our strategic needs and personnel strengths.
Salary commensurate with experience.
evolveEA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
advancing systems and solutions by design