This job is no longer accepting applications.
BIG is a group of 500+ architects, engineers, urbanists, inventors, researchers and business minds from all over the world who are based in our Copenhagen, New York, London and Barcelona offices. Our built work ranges from the most diverse urban playground and Michelin-star dining - to affordable housing that feels everything but and a school among the verdant fjords of the Faroe Islands. Our vision spans traveling at supersonic speed with Hyperloop One to living in floating cities and eventually Mars! While we are led by a group of expert partners, directors and associates - a flat hierarchy and collaborative spirit are essential to our BIG ecosystem. We share our collective knowledge and expansive network through study trips and educational workshops – BIG School offers in-house lessons while BIG Picture brings in industry experts to inspire and invigorate. We are infectiously ambitious and unified by the shared mission to craft the world we want to live in, to give form to our future one project at a time.
As Landscape Designer/Architect, you will be responsible for design and technical production on landscape projects of varying scales. This will encompass conceptual design, the technical side of developing a concept into drawing sets for construction, including grading and planting design, and landscape materiality.
Join us on our mission if you are:
- A professional degree in landscape architecture and 3-7 years professional experience as a landscape designer/architect
- Excellent communication skills, fluent in English- spoken and written
- Strong conceptual and design skills with sensitivity in the human scale
- Ability to express design ideas quickly, clearly and succinctly
- Ability to develop design options in collaboration with and in support of architectural design teams
- Ability to prepare, develop and edit drawings and models as they relate to the project
- Proven experience with grading design, planting design, natural systems, materials and technical aspects of landscape architecture
- Should have strong ability with 3D modeling in Rhino, as well as AutoCAD, V-Ray, Adobe Suite (Revit is a plus)
- Strong organizational skills, able to work under pressure, meet deadlines and budget time
- Ability to take initiative in response to direction from managers
- A flexible and open attitude towards new ways of working
- Experience as a designer on built and published references
- NYS Landscape Architecture licensure will be an asset
At BIG, we value and encourage the following qualities:
- Be proactive – take initiative, do research and don’t be afraid to try new things; prevent issues rather than just fix them
- Be reliable – be someone leadership can trust to deliver on any task
- Be accountable – from the big picture to the day to day, from production and team morale to liaising with Ops, own the decisions you make
- Be consistent – prove you can do it, and then do it again and again
- Be tenacious – be committed, show up, contribute with passion, do your best, get stuff done and don’t give up
- Be independent – don’t be afraid to ask questions but be able to take a task or project and run with it
- Be clever – be smart, know your stuff, think critically, keep the big picture in mind, figure things out and look up new knowledge, stay updated and be curious
- Be nice – be a team player and a good colleague, be honest, respect your colleagues, don’t take yourself too seriously and have fun!
- Be generous – share your knowledge and skills with other BIGsters and mentor others when you can
Diversity has been part of our DNA since BIG’s foundation. A multitude of cultures and backgrounds creates a new point of reference which leads to amazing insights. At BIG, we celebrate and support diversity because it makes our team, work and the built environment better. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and take affirmative action to employ equally regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.