This job is no longer accepting applications.
Cottage is solving housing affordability via an end-to-end platform for designing, financing and building Accessory Dwelling Units ("ADUs").
Recent regulatory changes have empowered homeowners to build new housing supply out of empty backyards, garages and basements. ADUs can be a great investment for homeowners, naturally affordable housing for renters and steady work for contractors. The COVID pandemic has only created additional urgency for many homeowners who need extra space for loved ones.
That’s not to say it’s easy to build an ADU today. Cottage was born out of the pain points we felt firsthand navigating the process -- from understanding municipal zoning code, finding the right designers and contractors, to keeping a project on time and on budget.
Cottage is backed by top tier seed funds and proptech/fintech angel investors. The team are formerly early Uber operations, UberEats growth, WeWork design and Opendoor expansion. Join us in tackling one of the biggest problems facing cities today.
About the Role
At Cottage, we're productizing custom ADU design to achieve our mission faster and more efficiently. The Design Systems team is focused on supercharging our network of designers (Design Studio) with automation and technology. Our end goal is to produce customized designs at a scale and efficiency never before seen in residential architecture.
We’re looking for a Design Technologist to join our Design team and productize the ADU design process. Reporting to the Design Systems Manager, you will be responsible for producing and maintaining Cottage’s BIM data sources, including BIM model contents and cloud data, and developing custom software solutions to streamline our ADU design process by automating repeatable steps of residential design and documentation. You’ll also collaborate closely with a cross-functional team across design, growth, engineering, and operations.
We are also hiring an Architectural ADU Designer / Architect (Contract)
What You’ll Do
BIM/Design Systems Implementation
- Produce and own Cottage’s BIM products and data sources including modeling templates, kit-of-parts family contents, technical design standards, and cloud model data
- Support in-house design team towards design systems implementation at all project stages from schematic design to permitting and construction
- Constantly improve Cottage's BIM CDE (Common Data Environment) towards a streamlined project set-up, design document management, and data extraction processes
- Develop scalable multi-source design systems by integrating company-wide data into design tooling with a focus on avoiding design software lock-in (ie: Revit lock-in)
Design Automation & Tooling
- Discover time-consuming and repeatable tasks in our BIM design processes to develop automation tools that eliminate them
- Effectively deploy tools and automation solutions across the design and cross-functional teams; maintain high quality implementation documentation
- Collaborate with Cottage’s cross-functional teams to connect the design systems product with the company’s internal technology roadmap
- Develop a data-informed system to understand the success of Design Systems automation solutions
- Research and pilot new workflows to scale our BIM production with external consultants or new technologies; enable design team to optimize the internal resources
- Support the Design team to optimize the operation of Design Studio by analyzing the implementation cost of design software and technology
What You’ll Need
- Bachelors or Masters in architecture, structural engineering, or related field
- 3+ years of experience in handling BIM management, BIM modeling, and computational design in residential or commercial architecture using Autodesk Revit or Rhino; Experience in early-stage/high-growth startup environment is a plus
- Experience in BIM add-in development with Revit API is required (using Python or C#)
- Experience in BIM-centric space standard development is required
- Experience in web-based AEC technologies, including Autodesk Forge or Speckle, highly preferred
- Experience in lightweight web applications development highly preferred
- Passion for the adoption of up and coming technologies and products in real estate, ADU, and housing design industry
- Passion for data-driven problem solving for the operation of a fast-growing design team
- An excitement to experiment, try and learn new technologies, and be creative
- Proven record of superb process documentation, flowcharting, and presentation skills
- Proven track record of organization, self-management, and delivering at a high bandwidth
- Comfort with a fast-paced, rapidly changing, and ambiguous (but fun!) work environment
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Room for more.