This job is no longer accepting applications.
Lake|Flato Architects seeks a forward-thinking, energetic Design Technologist to join our award-winning, sustainable design practice in our office in San Antonio, Texas.
Lake|Flato Architects (www.lakeflato.com) is a nationally recognized architectural design firm based in San Antonio, Texas. Lake|Flato is committed to exploring design performance in all project phases with the help of our design performance team and expert consultants. Throughout various design phases we incorporate simulation analysis to ensure accurate quantifiable results that influence our design decisions. Early in the design process we use simulations to orient our buildings to provide balanced daylight, views, natural ventilation, renewable potential, and more. As the project progresses, we use more specific tools such as energy and carbon calculations, leading to design solutions and system strategies that are tailored to the project.
As a leader in sustainability, we are seeking an enthusiastic, proactive professional who could immediately fill the full-time Design Technologist position. The ideal candidate is self-motivated and capable of self-guided research and use of tools, works well on a team with strong communication skills, is a general lover of all things related to design and emerging technologies with a passion to share their knowledge and educate our firm.
The successful candidate will serve as a technology and analysis subject matter expert to project teams and staff, providing information and expertise regarding available design technology to test and achieve sustainability strategies and building performance efforts. This will be performed while coordinating with project teams to ensure an integrated design process.
The Design Technologist position is a key part of Lake|Flato’s Design Performance team. This position is directed by the firm’s Director of Design Performance and works closely with the firm’s Director of Design Technology and other Lake|Flato design performance experts. Responsibilities may include project work and implementation of internal initiatives such as:
Building performance analysis:
- Perform building performance analysis such as site/ climate analysis, daylight modeling, energy modeling, views analysis, and other simulations for both projectspecific performance goals and green building certification documentation (such as LEED, Living Building Challenge, and WELL).
- Perform in-house training for design technology, tools, and simulation
- Perform post-occupancy evaluation, including energy monitor installation coordination, reporting, and other environmental data collection
Technology + BIM/design assistance:
- Develop and maintain in-house design performance tools and methods under the direction of the Director of Design Technology
- Manage virtual and augmented reality technology - installation, training, and troubleshooting. Oversee virtual reality technology in the office - equipment selection, installation, training, and troubleshooting.
- Manage 3D printer and other in-house fabrication technologies
- Manage building analysis tools such as indoor environmental quality tools
- Pilot the office drone for site surveying and project photography
- Assist BIM Manager in the creation of Dynamo scripts for Revit-centric tasks.
- Provide parametric and generative design consultation on projects that have technical or repetitive geometry. Responsible for developing performance-based design scripts
Marketing + administrative:
- Create graphics for marketing pursuits and new projects. Contribute to awards submissions, interview graphics, and miscellaneous marketing outreach
- Participate in the firm’s internal research & development program by leading research projects, editing the research journal, and/or promoting the program
- Stay aware of emerging technology and seek out software beta testing opportunities
- Degree in engineering, architecture, high performance buildings, building science, or related field with 1-5 years of relevant professional experience in the A/E/C industry
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Rhino, Grasshopper, Revit, and Dynamo
- Proficiency with building performance simulation preferred including but not limited to daylighting with Diva/Climate Studio, parametric energy analysis, (Autodesk) Insight Energy Modeling and PV Analysis
- Applied knowledge surrounding generative and computational design
- Experience working with digital fabrication, specifically 3-D printing
- LEED (or equivalent) accreditation with specialty
- Knowledge of multiple sustainability rating and certification systems such as WELL, SITES, Living Building Challenge, and PHIUS preferred
- Experience developing and implementing sustainability concepts and strategies through simulation tools as demonstrated through actual project or program work
Experience coordinating with contractors, architectural teams, and consultants preferred Please send a digital copy of your resume and an expanded edition of your portfolio in .pdf or .jpg format by e-mail with the subject line “Design Technologist application” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our website at www. lakeflato.com for more information about our firm, our culture and our people. Upon receipt, we will review and contact you should your qualifications meet our staffing needs. No phone calls, please.
Your application has been successfully submitted.