This job is no longer accepting applications.
KPF is seeking a Computation Specialist, passionate about sustainable design, to join the Environmental Performance (KPFep) team in NYC and bring their expertise to the design of high performance buildings. KPFep is a specialized team within KPF focused on environmental design, building performance simulation, and tool development.
The ideal candidate for this position will leverage their computational design and development expertise to improve and scale internal modeling tools, develop new cloud-based simulation workflows, and explore the application of machine learning methods to sustainable design. As a key objective, they will be tasked with automating current energy modeling workflows to be deployed firm wide. Working closely with design teams, they will also lead the integration of modeling tools into projects, supporting evidence-based design. The position will provide opportunities to collaborate with other technology teams (e.g. Urban Interface, Data Science), and contribute to a broad range of research and educational pursuits.
Computation and Development (50%)
• Create and maintain an automated modeling workflow to make KPFep environmental simulation tools (energy, thermal, daylight, materials) more widely available through remote server and cloud services
• Research and develop a custom energy modeling workflow using EnergyPlus, to make carbon and energy estimations available for 400+ architects
• Develop and implement an early design support tool and user interface, that leverages KPF’s internal database of projects, precedents and benchmarks
• Expand ongoing research on machine learning and AI methods for the streamlining of computationally heavy CFD, energy and daylight simulations
• Work closely with other developers and computational designers at KPF to advance the integration of digital technologies in design
Performance Based Design (35%)
• Work with KPF design teams to integrate environmental performance simulation tools into the design process and guide design decisions
• Develop custom parametric models to research complex design problems in the design of façade systems, urban microclimates and energy systems
Training and Implementation (15%)
• Develop training workshops and documentation materials, and support design teams in applying KPFep developed tools and workflows in ongoing projects
• Master’s Degree with focus on Sustainable and/or Computational Design
• 2+ years of applicable professional experience
• Knowledge of fundamental building science and environmental modeling
• Proficiency with Rhino and Grasshopper, and related energy, thermal and daylight tools, including DIVA (or CS), and Ladybug tools (LB, HB, BF, etc.)
• Proficiency developing C# and Python based applications, especially plug-ins for Rhino and Grasshopper. Familiar with VisualStudio an Git environments
• Experience with full building energy modeling using EnergyPlus based tools and developing custom parametric and optimization workflows
• Good communication skills to collaborate with and train designers
• Effective organizational skills to develop, manage and deliver a work plan
• Experience in web app development (Valued but not required)
• Experience with machine learning methods (Valued but not required)
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at KPF. We are currently hiring at all levels. To apply for a position at KPF NY, submit your resume and portfolio (in PDF format only), via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.