This job is no longer accepting applications.
KPF is seeking a Materials Specialist, passionate about sustainable design, to join the Environmental Performance (KPFep) team in NYC and bring their expertise to the design of high performance buildings. KPFep is a specialized team within KPF focused on environmental design, building performance simulation, and tool development.
The ideal candidate for this position will leverage their material science and environmental design expertise to help develop workflows and resources for the analysis of environmental and health impacts in materials. In particular they will be tasked with researching upgrades to current KPF LCA workflows, developing and maintaining in-house databases regarding environmental impact and material health, and defining office wide embodied carbon targets an innovation opportunities. Working closely with design teams, they will also lead the integration of modeling tools and support the design process from concept to construction. The position will provide opportunities to collaborate with other technology teams (e.g. Urban Interface, Data Science), and contribute to a broad range of research and educational pursuits.
Resource Development (40%)
• Coordinate and expand global material data resources within KPF, with a focus on lifecycle environmental impacts and embodied carbon
• Research and assess available life cycle assessment (LCA) tools and workflows, and develop framework for their implementation within KPF’s studio
• Work closely with other technology units at KPF to advance the integration of LCA tools in our digital practice, especially with KPFs BIM unit
• Develop a knowledge management system for environmental labels and product declarations (EPD/HPD) wirking with KPF’s in house material library
Project Design Work (40%)
• Work with KPF design teams to integrate material analysis into ongoing projects, providing guidelines for early design, developing quantitative analysis of specific design solutions, and documenting technical requirements
• Collaborating with structural and façade engineering consultants in the definition of project scope requirements, design targets, and technical coordination
Training and Implementation (20%)
• Develop training workshops and documentation materials, and support design teams in applying KPFep developed tools and workflows in ongoing projects
• Professional degree in Architecture or Engineering
• Master’s Degree with focus on Environmental Design or Material Science
• 2+ years of applicable professional experience
• Knowledge of fundamentals in building technology and environmental modeling
• Knowledge of LCA modeling and data management for buildings
• Experience in developing product and building LCAs with one or more of the following LCA analysis packages: OneClickLCA, Revit Tally, SimaPro, Gabi, EC3
• Proficient with Rhino, Grasshopper, and Autodesk Revit
• Good communication skills to collaborate with and train designers
• Effective organizational skills to develop, manage and deliver a work plan
• LEED or WELL accreditation (Highly valued but not required)
• Proficiency developing C# and/or Python applications (Valued but not required)
• Structural design and modeling experience (Valued but not required)
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at KPF. We are currently hiring at all levels. To apply for a position at KPF NY, submit your resume and portfolio (in PDF format only), via email at email@example.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.