This job is no longer accepting applications.
Olson Kundig is a Seattle-based design practice founded on the idea that buildings can serve as a bridge between nature, culture, and people, and that inspiring surroundings have a positive effect on people’s lives. Led by five owners, the firm’s work can be found across the globe, with projects as wide-ranging as huts to high rises, homes—often for art collectors—to academic, hospitality, cultural, and civic projects, museums and exhibition design, places of worship, creative production, urban design, and interior design
We are currently seeking a Specification Writer who will be responsible for preparing detailed, coordinated specifications for our firm’s projects. Knowledge and experience with spec writing are required. This individual must also have effective communication skills, both written and verbal, and be able to thrive in an environment that places a high value on collaboration, creative design, and technical innovation.
Must Haves -
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture or construction-related field.
- 7 years of related experience.
- Experience preparing independently or helping to direct the preparation of project manuals and technical specifications appropriate for projects diverse in size, budget, building type, and geographic location.
- Ability to review and coordinate specifications developed by outside sub-consultants.
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Organization and collaboration skills to work closely with project teams to ensure coordination of construction documents and project requirements including:
- Coordinating compliance with institutional guidelines, product/assembly standards, company standards, and project technical requirements including applicable regulations and codes across multiple jurisdictions.
- Assisting project teams with the review of submittals, substitutions, RFIs, change proposals, and other communications during the construction phase.
- Building upon existing office specification systems and knowledge.
- Working in conjunction with QA/QC processes to ensure technical accuracy in construction documents.
- Expertise to serve as materials and methods subject matter expert. Working with others and independently, perform R&D for finding and vetting construction materials and systems. Develop and maintain relationships with building material and systems vendors.
- Effective communication and leadership skills to share the latest information to the office through presentations and active stewardship on the firm’s intranet and to conduct group instruction related to technical building systems and construction document production practices.
- Drive to investigate progressive specification methodologies.
- Desire to contribute to the creative and collaborative culture of the firm through active engagement with staff and leadership.
Nice to have -
- Proficiency in specifications software programs (e.g., MasterSpec, e-SPECS, SpecLink), MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong knowledge of architectural design, engineering coordination, products, building systems, construction methodology, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
- Knowledge of building codes and ability to incorporate them into specification documents.
- Revit skills – related to the ability to safely navigate a model environment and coordinate keynote content.
- Knowledge of sustainable design and construction practices. LEED© accreditation desirable, but not required.
- CSI credentialing.
Personal Attributes –
- Willingness to adapt and switch gears on the fly.
- Detail and task-oriented with a passion for excellence.
In addition to a dynamic and creative culture, Olson Kundig provides a generous benefits package that includes 16 days of paid time off, paid holidays, health plan, 401k match, bonuses, profit-sharing plans for qualified positions, a monthly travel subsidy for public transportation, and more.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship and must already possess long-term work authorization.
Your application has been successfully submitted.